10/01/2018 11:11:00 PM

ఉయ్యలవాడ నరసింహ రెడ్డి జీవిత చరిత్ర

Uyyalawada Narasimha Reddy, was born to Uyyalawada Peddamalla Reddy in a Polygar family in Uyyalawada around early 1800s, located in the present-day Kurnool District, Andhra Pradesh.
Which is on the banks of Kundu River. His father Peddamalla Reddy and his grandfather Jayarami Reddy were local chieftains (Palegars) of Koilakuntla.
He is one of the earliest freedom fighters in India, who fought the British long before the 1857 revolution.
Early life
Uyyalawada Narasimha Reddy was born to Uyyalawada Peddamalla Reddy in Uyyalawada, located in the present-day Kurnool district which is on the banks of Kundu River. His father Peddamalla Reddy and his grandfather Jayarami Reddy were local chieftains (Polygars) in Koilkuntla.
The early Colonial rule under the East India Company was a repressive one as the company was in an expansion mode at the expense of Maharajahs and Muslim rulers who were rendered powerless and money-less. Also affected were the local rulers and chieftains at many places who were forced to pay taxes to the British through their noses. Many could not fight, but some revolted against the unjust of the foreign rulers.
One among them was Uyyalawada Narasimha Reddy, local ruler, an unsung freedom fighter.
Like different early freedom fighters, without any compunction, Reddy was put to death by the EIC officials.
Uyyalawada Narasimha Reddy is one of the earliest freedom fighters in India like Veera Pandya Katta Bomman of South Tamil Nadu. Reddy, who had 66 villages under his control and an army of 2000 men, could not brook the atrocities committed by the corrupt officials of EIC (East India Company)
and the sufferings and pains his individuals had to travel through beneath their occupation.

The Rayalaseema region was transferred to the British by the Nizam. Narasimha Reddy's region was one among them, he refused to pay taxes directly to the British. He raided the treasury of Giddaluru on 23 July 1846, along with his followers and beheaded its secretary, Raghavachary. Narasimha Reddy also attacked the British forces camped at there and defeated them. However, there was another story for the Giddaluru attack by Narasimha Reddy. the local say that he used get paid compensation by the EIC, when his follower went collect compensation a local treasury secretary insulted him for having followers (saying followers for a follower), knowing this Narasimha Reddy got angry and openly announced and then raided the treasury and beheaded its secretary.
Many attempts to capture him by the British were unsuccessful.
The British place a value of Rs ten,000/- for his head, which was a huge amount in those days.
Also the British imprisoned his family at Kadapa.
But to the government’s surprise, he rescued his family by pointing a knife at the officer of the Lal Bangla, where his wife and son were imprisoned.

His revolt in India against the British occupation was 10 years earlier than India's First War of Independence of 1857 also known as Sepoy Mutiny of 1857.
People from villages like Uyyalawada, Gulladurti, Harivaram, Uppaluru, Kotthakota took part in this early rebellion.
The vestiges of the first events area unit well frozen within the ruins of the fort at Kotthakota, near Giddalur.
Now these villages are in Prakasam, Kurnool, Kadapa, Anantapur districts of Andhra Pradesh and in the Bellary region of Karnataka.

Forts Built
Narasimha Reddy, built multiple forts listed below to protect his region from the attacks of British:
Capture and Death
Narasimha Reddy together with his army attacked nation forces camped at Giddaluru on twenty three July 1846 and defeated them.
Unable to capture him, the British imprisoned his family at Kadapa.
In a trial to free his family, Narasimha Reddy moved to Nallamala Forest.
Someone within the village knowing this to the Collector of Koilkuntla.
When nation tightened his movements within the Nallamala region, Narasimha Reddy came back to Koilkuntla area and hid in Jagannatha Konda near the village of Ramabhadrunipalle.
An informant brought to the notice of British authorities of his whereabouts and his followers.
The area was encircled by soldiers in the dead of night.
He was caught at nighttime of vi Gregorian calendar month 1846.
Narasimha Reddy was humiliated before being delivered to Koilkuntla.
He was tied with serious chains and paraded within the streets of Koilkuntla with blood-stained garments in order that none ought to dare to revolt against nation.

As several as 903 individuals were charged in conjunction with Narasimha Reddy for this battle.
Later 412 of them were innocent and 273 were free on bail.
As many as 112 were convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for 5 to 14 years. Some were sent to a prison in the Andaman Islands. The younger brother of the rulers of Owk was one of them. The special commissioner of Cuddapah conducted the trial.
Narasimha Reddy was charged with revolt, murder and dacoitry and guilty on all charges.
He was sentenced to death by hanging. On 22 February 1847, Reddy was hanged publicly by the British in Koilkuntla on the banks of a nearby river in the presence of the Collector of Kokcrane.
British kept his head on the fort wall in public view for a long period to instill fear in the people so that another rebellion won't be tried by others against the British..

ఈ నారసింహారెడ్డి పై ప్రజలలో రెండు వీరగాధానికలును, ఒక వీరగాధయు వ్యాప్తి యందు ఉన్నవి. దొరవారి నరసిం హ్వ రెడ్డి! నీ దొరతనము కూలిపోయె రాజా నరసిం హ్వ రెడ్డి అనే కోలాటపు పాటను డాక్టర్ తూమాటి దోణప్ప గారు అనంతపుర మండలమున సంపాదించిరి. డాక్టర్ తంగిరాల వేంకటసుబ్బారావు గారు "వొహువా! నరసింహారెడ్డి! నీ పేరంటే రాజా నరసింహారెడ్డి! అను పిచ్చుకుంట్ల పాటను వీరు సంపాదించిరి. ఈ రెండును లఘువీరగాధలు. ఇవి కాక బొబ్బిలి పాట వరుసలోనున్న పెద్దవీరగాధయు ఒకటి కలదు.ఇందు కొన్ని విషయములు కొంత భేధముతో కలవు.
దొరవారి నరసిం హ్వ రెడ్డి!
నీ దొరతనము కూలిపోయె రాజా నరసిం హ్వ రెడ్డి! || దొర ||
రేనాటి సీమలోనా రెడ్డోళ్ళ కులములోనా
దొరవారీ వమిశానా ధీరుడే నరసిం హ్వ రెడ్డి || దొర ||
కొయిల్ కుంట్లా గుట్టలేంటా కుందేరూ వొడ్డులెంటా
గుర్రమెక్కీ నీవు వస్తే కుంపిణీకీ గుండె దిగులూ || దొర ||
కాలికీ సంకెండ్లు వేసీ చేతీకీ బేడీలు వేసీ
పారాతో పట్టి తెచ్చీ బందికానులొ పెట్టిరీ || దొర || (పారాతో = పహరా తో)
కండ్లకూ గంతాలు గట్టీ నోటినిండా బట్లు పెట్టీ
నిలువునా నీ తలా గొట్టీ కోట బురుజుకు గట్టీరీ || దొర ||
కాసిలో నా తల్లికేమో చావు సుద్దీ తెలిసినాదీ
కన్న కడుపే తల్లటించే గంగలోనా కలిసే || దొర || (ఆ సమయంలో నరసింహా రెడ్డి తల్లి కాశీలో ఉన్నట్లు చెబుతారు)
Misreporting by the East India Company
The East India Company not only reduced the family of Narasimha Reddi of Nossam to poverty by taking away their land holdings, but took revenge by misreporting in their manuals that Narasimha Reddi is a poor pensioner of Rs.11 per month and that Narasimha Reddi rebelled against the British rule only to retain his meagre pension. The Manual of Kurnool District, also states the rebellion of Uyyalawada Narasimha Reddi is not of much significance and but it is unknown why his head was left hung to the scaffold for 30 years (1847 to 1877) as a vengeful act. In their own words:
"Since 1839 nothing of political importance has occurred, unless we mention the disturbance in 1847 caused by Narasimha Reddy, a pensioned Poligar of Uyyalavada in Koilkuntla Taluk, then part of Cuddapah district. He was a poor man in receipt of a pension of Rs.11 a month.
As a grandchild of Jayaram Reddy, the last powerful Zamindar of Nossam, he was sorely disappointed when the Government refused to pay him any portion of the lapsed pension
of that family. Just before this time the question of resuming Kattubadi Inams has been brought under the consideration of Government, which made the Kattubadis discontented.
Narasimha Reddy collected these men and attacked the Koilkuntla treasury, which, however, was well defended.
He affected from place to position and protected himself within the hill forts of the Erramalas and Nallamalas, and though pursued by troops from Cuddapah and Kurnool, he continued
to commit his ravages in Koilkuntla and Cumbum.
At Giddalur he gave battle to Lieutenant Watson and killed the Tahsildar of Cumbum.
He then escaped into the Nallamalas, and after roving about the hills for several months was caught near perusomala on a hill in Koilkuntla taluk and hanged. His head kept hung in the fort on the gibbet till 1877, when the scaffold falling into decay, it was not thought necessary to repair it."
Memorial Committee for The Sun and Moon of Renadu
Renati Surya Chandrula Smaraka Samithi was formed to preserve the memory of Uyyalawada Narasimha Reddy and the philanthropist Budda Vengal Reddy, both of whom were born in Uyyalawada village. The committee published a book in both Telugu and English, titled Renati Surya Chandrulu (The Sun and Moon of Renadu), in 2015.


Post a Comment